Colchester Hospital Urgent Treatment Centre


Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC) at Colchester Hospital

You’ll find the Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC) at Colchester Hospital at the front of the Emergency Department (A&E)

Urgent Treatment Centre Accessibility information from AccessAble

UTCs are for urgent help, not emergencies. If you are seriously ill or in need of emergency care, you will still be treated at Colchester Hospital’s Emergency Department (A&E). If you are not sure what care you need, you can contact NHS 111 by phone or use the NHS 111 symptom checker.

What to expect at the UTC

On arrival you will be seen by a nurse practitioner directly at the front door. They will assess your condition and direct you to the appropriate service. This could be the Emergency Department, back to your own GP or to a pharmacy, or they will book you in to be seen by one of the clinicians in the UTC.

If they assess that you need to be seen in the UTC then you may be triaged or asked to take a seat in the waiting area. You will then be seen by either a doctor or nurse practitioner.

The Urgent Treatment Centre in Colchester is a GP-led service who lead a team of advanced nurse practitioners and emergency nurse practitioners.

We share our waiting area with the Emergency Department so at peak times you may be required to wait and will see some patients being called before you. We treat patients based on the seriousness of their condition, so on occasion you may have to wait to be seen.

Colchester UTC is open between 7am and midnight, seven days a week.

We treat patients for many minor injuries and conditions including:

  • trauma wounds
  • burns and scalds
  • strains and sprains
  • bites and stings
  • suspected fractures
  • foreign bodies
  • coughs and chest infections
  • ear, nose and throat infections
  • skin problems and rashes
  • emergency contraception
  • stomach problems
  • urinary infections
  • eye infections

The UTC at Colchester Hospital does not offer a walk-in blood test service.

To arrange a blood test, please contact your own GP. We also do not offer a dressing change service. This is dealt with by community services or your GP practice.

We cannot give any medical advice over the phone. Please contact NHS 111 for any medical advice.

Back to top
Translate »