ESNEFT’s Armed Forces and Veterans Group (AFVG) ensures serving military personnel and veterans are not disadvantaged when referred for treatment and ensures they are heard at every level.
AFVG includes senior ESNEFT managers, Armed Forces Clinical Champions and colleagues with a service background who are committed to improving Armed Forces experience – e.g. giving Armed Forces personnel hospital tours, working with patient experience team to resolve Armed Forces issues and providing clear, accurate information.
Accountability for Armed Forces, ‘Veterans and their families’ (VATF) is included in the duties of nine staff who champion the adherence to the principles of the Armed Forces Covenant throughout ESNEFT.
AFVG gives ESNEFT a broad knowledge base and greater understanding of Armed Forces and veterans and their families and works to increase our NHS representation on the local Civilian Military Partnership Board. This was particularly evident when Colchester’s Garrison Commander thanked ESNEFT for its ‘timely, prioritised care and outstanding liaison throughout the Covid pandemic’.
- We hold the silver Defence Employer Recognition Scheme and are aiming for gold standard by January 2022
- We are reviewing compliance with AFC following pressures on waiting lists caused by the pandemic
- We have gained accreditation as ‘Veteran Aware’ ensuring veterans and their families receive the best possible care
- We ensure Armed Forces personnel are not disadvantaged when moving to or from the locality
- Our Patient Access Policy refers to the care and treatment of Armed Forces and veterans and their families and requires that clinical and administrative staff are aware of the procedures for the management of referrals, appointments, diagnostics and elective admission to ensure Armed Forces and VATF patients have swift and efficient access to the services they need, receive priority treatment where it relates to a condition resulting from their service in the armed forces and ensures that ESNEFT meets the current guidance for priority service for military veterans.
- We have signed the ‘Step into Health’ pledge