What can I expect at a pregnancy scan?
- Your examination will be performed by a sonographer
- The sonographer will apply a clear gel to the skin of your tummy to allow a small hand-held probe to slide over
- Ultrasound is safe to use in pregnancy (and at any age from birth to the elderly)
- We welcome one adult to accompany you during your ultrasound examination
Having a scan in pregnancy is usually a happy event.
However, please remember that this is a screening test and that occasionally abnormalities are detected.
Pregnancy scans include:
- Dating scan/Nuchal translucency scan (to screen for Downs syndrome)
- Mid-pregnancy anomaly scan
Some people are offered more scans, depending on their health and their pregnancy.Back to top