Colchester children’s diabetes service is a multi-professional team supporting all children and young people with diabetes up to 19 years of age.
The aim of the team is to:
- Provide evidence based care for children with diabetes with the prevention of long term complications, reducing/ preventing hospital admissions.
- Education, training and support at diagnosis for the child, young person and their family as well as on-going support in line with NICE and Best practice guidelines
- Support in school settings with education, training and personalised care plans
- Insulin pump service
- Designated age banded clinics for service users including an adolescent clinic
- 24 hour access to specialist advice
- Engage in the East of England children’s diabetes network
- Contribute in the national paediatric diabetes audit (NPDA)
- Participate in the national diabetes Peer review process
- Participate in diabetes research
- Offer the opportunity for service users to attend fun and educational events
Lead paediatric consultant with an interest in diabetes – Dr Nicola Cackett
Paediatric consultant with an interest in diabetes – Dr Rajeev Shinkar
Children’s diabetes clinical nurse specialists – Natalie Jordan, Jennie Sharp, Kelly Turner and Stana Cantwell
Children’s diabetes specialist dietitian’s – Anna Groom and Meghan Vickery
How to contact the service:
The service operates Monday to Friday, 8 am to 5 pm, and the diabetes team can be contacted by calling 01206 742758.
An out of hours service, which gives advice to parents and children/young people who are known to the Colchester team is available Monday to Friday, 5 pm to 8 am, and 24 hours a day during weekends and bank holidays. The number to contact is: 01438 285000.Back to top