The Macmillan Skin Cancer clinical nurse specialist (also known as a keyworker)
The Macmillan skin cancer clinical nurse specialist, Rachel Alexander, is based at Ipswich Hospital within the Dermatology and Plastic Surgery Outpatient Department and is recognised as the keyworker for patients with skin cancer.
The clinical nurse specialist/keyworker role involves:
- supporting patients and their family/carers within their treatment pathway, both emotionally and practically
- acting as a link between the patient, family/carer and members of the multidisciplinary team
- sharing information and advice on all aspects of cancer and cancer care
- liaising with other health professionals on behalf of the patient
- offering advice and information/explanation of treatment
- accessing advice from other healthcare professionals as required
- assisting with financial information, claims and grants and refer to appropriate specialist as appropriate
- acting as keyworker and transferring over care to appropriate healthcare professionals, when necessary
- counselling patients and family/carers and referring on, as necessary
- facilitating the Ipswich Hospital Skin Cancer Support Group meetings
- educating the general public, staff and ensuring personal continuing professional development
- attending relevant local and national meetings.
You are welcome to telephone Rachel on 01473 704 717, or e-mail her at email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns in between follow-up appointments.