The Cancer Wellbeing Centre at Colchester Hospital provides vital support and information if you are affected by cancer. Whether a patient, family member or carer, the centre is there to help.
The centre offers a non-clinical and relaxing environment in a tranquil lakeside setting. The building was funded entirely by community donations to Colchester and Ipswich Hospitals Charity’s Cancer Campaign.
The service provided by the centre includes:
- specialist information and advice
- counselling services
- complementary therapies
- physical activity services
- hair and skincare advice
- dietary advice
- practical support
- benefits advice and signposting
- a venue for self help and support groups
Cancer Care Navigators is a service open to anyone who has recently been diagnosed with cancer in Ipswich and Colchester hospitals.
The navigators will make contact with all newly diagnosed individuals to help them get the right help and support with all their non-medical needs, individuals who are already diagnosed can contact us wherever they are in their pathway for any help, information or support.
After an individual has been diagnosed we will be contacting them to offer practical support and advice, which might include:
- helping them improve their health and wellbeing
- pointing them towards relevant cancer support groups and courses
- referring them for emotional support where needed, and identifying who may be best placed to support them
- advising on how to talk to family and friends about cancer
- linking them in with services and support in their local area
- facilitating access to support for any practical needs
- supporting them with the transition back to daily life, as their care moves from a hospital setting to a community setting
We will arrange a time to talk through all your needs on the phone and help you to identify any key concerns so we can point you towards the best support and services for you.
You can self-refer to the service by contacting us below or you may be referred by a healthcare professional:
The contact details for the service are:
Monday to Friday 9:00am –5:00pm (answerphone facility out of hours)
Ipswich Hospital: 01473 702125
Colchester Hospital: 01206 487288Back to top