Tel: 01206 742 199
Instructions to Patients with Plaster of Paris and Synthetic Casts, Splints and Supports
- Don’t stand or press on your plaster of Paris cast for 48 hours or your synthetic cast for 30 minutes
- Don’t write on your plaster until it is dry
- Don’t get it wet
- Don’t poke anything down under your plaster
- Don’t keep your sling on longer than instructed
- Don’t cut, knock or bump your plaster
- Don’t walk on temporary casts at any time
- Do exercise your fingers, toes, shoulder and elbow joints
- Do elevate your plastered limb, whenever possible
- Do use crutches as instructed. Please return them when no longer needed
01206 742 199 during office hours or
01206 742 117 (Emergency Department) outside of office hours, if any of the following appear:
- severe pain
- marked swelling which does not reduce when you lift them up
- blueness or discoloration
- inability to move fingers/toes
- numbness or pins and needles
or if your cast:
- becomes loose, or is otherwise uncomfortable.
Please take care of your plaster. It takes time to apply and costs between £10 and £150.
The Recite feature on this website attempts to provide digital accessibility and translation support. If you would like to make a request for a leaflet to be produced in a different format please see our PALS contact page in order to contact the team and make a request. If you require a translation please see our translation information page. ESNEFT are actively attempting to achieve accessibility regulation compliance under the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No.2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
© East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust, 2021.
All rights reserved. Not to be reproduced in whole, or in part,
without the permission of the copyright owner.