Video consultation patient information leaflet
Things to remember before your video or telephone appointment
- If you have any impairment that means you cannot participate in a Virtual Clinic please call the clinic contact number on your appointment letter as soon as possible
- If you need an interpreter/translator please visit our Interpreting and translation services web page
- If you are using a computer, laptop, iPad or mobile phone, make sure you have your device fully charged
- You will automatically enter the appointment once your clinician opens your appointment or calls you on the telephone
- Ensure you have all medication near to discuss including dosage information
- Make sure you are in a quiet, private room where you will not be disturbed
- Make sure you have any questions that you would like to ask written down and near you
- Please make the clinician aware should you wish to record the consultation. May we remind you that recordings are for personal use only and should not be shared
What if I have not been successful in attending the appointment due to connection issues?
Please contact the hospital on the clinic telephone number at the top of your appointment letter.
Opening hours: Monday to Thursday 8am to 6.30pm, Friday 8am to 5pm
Video Appointments Only
- Make sure you have a good connection to the internet, Google Chrome or Safari
- Make sure you have gone into your settings and permitted the use of microphone and camera. Web- camera, speakers and microphone should already be in laptops or mobile devices
- Make sure you are appropriately dressed for your appointment if you’re having a video consultation
- Remember if you are required to move to show movement or a part of your body that the camera is still in focus
- Log into your appointment at least 15 minutes before to ensure you have time to resolve any issues
If you are a mother, father, carer, relative or friend logging in for someone else:
- Ensure you have the patient with you such as a child, mother, father, client
- Enter the patient information (person named on the appointment letter) in the requested information boxes i.e. name, date of birth – this includes if the patient is a child (video appointment only)
- Introduce yourself to the clinician if you will be staying throughout the appointment
- Contact the number at the bottom on the page if you are not directed to the waiting room
- Make sure you are in a private and well lit room/area where you will not be disturbed during the consultation
Your clinician may decide to prescribe a medication for you as a result of your clinic consultation. This will be urgent medication or something only the specialist team can prescribe for you.
The prescription will be sent automatically to the hospital pharmacy for dispensing. We will contact you when your medication is ready and to arrange payment (if you normally pay for your prescriptions). If the medication is needed the same day you may have to collect in person or send a representative.
Next working day delivery is available if the prescription is received in pharmacy before 3pm.
Some medication may require delivery by an independent homecare company.
Unfortunately some medication cannot be delivered.
Non-urgent medication will be recommended to your GP or for you to buy over the counter from your local community pharmacy.
If a recommendation is made to your GP, please give your GP at least 3 working days to process the request.
If you have any questions about the medicine(s) you are taking – call our Medicines Information helplines
- Ipswich Hospital patient: 01473 703 604
- Colchester Hospital patient: 01206 742 161
If you have any questions about the delivery/collection – call our dispensary teams
- Ipswich Hospital patient: 01473 703 606
- Colchester Hospital patient: 01206 742 102
The Recite feature on this website attempts to provide digital accessibility and translation support. If you would like to make a request for a leaflet to be produced in a different format please see our PALS contact page in order to contact the team and make a request. If you require a translation please see our translation information page. ESNEFT are actively attempting to achieve accessibility regulation compliance under the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No.2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.